Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Can we elect a Treasury Secretary?

Not that I'm advocating a Constitutional amendment...but it seems important to know who might take over for Paulson. I have to admit...economics is not my thing. I do find it...wierd, at least, that Lehman can go under but AIG gets bailed out...and AIG's biggest partner was Goldman...and Paulson ran Goldman. Whatever.

Here are my two picks for Treasury Secretrary...don't believe me, go read about these people. Herman Daly (http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2003/04/10/bank/) I choose the grist article because it gives a good overview. But you can find any number of articles on the web and blogs as recent as yesterday by Dr. Daly on the financial crisis. http://rs.resalliance.org/2008/10/09/herman-daly-on-the-financial-crisis/
Dr. Daly was at the World Bank from 1988 - 1994 and he is perhaps the foremost authority in the world on sustainable economics. Isn't THAT what we need? Don't we NEED a philosphy that takes into account the number of people on the planet, the amount of stuff they all have and the fact that there just isn't room for all the garbage? That is simple supply and demand.

The other is recent Noble winner, author (wrote or edited 20+ books), professor and, for me, economics translator Paul Krugman. Yale, Phd from MIT and professor at Princeton...I would feel confortable with someone REALLY smart in that job.

Not another wolf in the henhouse scenario. We've had enough!

3 comments:

dowder46 said...

This guy is good! I wish he would post more, because he certainly seems to know what he is talking about. Let's get this blog some action, and maybe greeniac with be a maniac for posting more of these trenchant, telling blogettes. (The term "blogette" is a trademark of the Dowder46 Corporation.). I tell ya, I can't get enough!

Parker M. Trowbridge said...

Stell,

For the first year of the Obama administration, there is no more important cabinet position then Treasury. Paulson and his ties to Wall Street have continued to make me uncomfortable. In 45 days he will be gone and with him the cloud of confict of interest.

Bridge

Anonymous said...

I agree with Parker about Paulson. How is it that his former firm, Goldman, survives and Lehman is allowed to fail? That's like having your brother be the governor of the state that wins you the election without a recount. Can you imagine???