Wednesday, June 2, 2010

More BP...Takeover Target???

I recently wrote about how BP needs to change into a beneficial corporation. It was a quick post...and of course I forgot to mention the wonderful people at B Corp

http://www.bcorporation.net/

who are already doing this kind of work. Are they talking to BP? I hope so...but really...nobody at BP has the time at this point...but that isn't stopping me from saying what ought to be done.



I also said that BP should Belong to the People. But really, shouldn't it Belong to the Planet?

There was an article in the Guardian

http://m.guardian.co.uk/?id=102202&story=http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jun/02/speculation-over-bp-future

about BP being a possible takeover target. And I wrote to them...takeover by whom? By the people and Natural Capital they have destroyed? How could we stand by and allow Shell or some private equity firm buy BP at cents on the dollar only to cut costs, adopt "synergies" and then spin it? Nothing would change.

There are some similarities with the Bhopal disaster perpetrated upon the people and the planet by Union Carbide. There was a criminal probe. The CEO was actually arrested...then released but then brought up late on manslaughter charges. Will this happen here?

Union Carbide stock took a big plunge. I remember as I almost bought some, knowing it would go up again because they were one of the top 20 biggest companies in the world...but I could not bring myself to do it.

So why shouldn't we allow a trust for the people and the planet of some sort to aquire BP for cents on the dollar and turn it into a restorative business operation?

No comments: